Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden

My life was changed on 9/11; I was heart broken that my country was attacked and at the age of 42 I reenlisted after almost a decade out of service and served for 9 more years until retiring last year. That singular event profoundly changed the way I saw things and viewed the world.

Now Bin Laden is dead and I commend the actions that led to his discovery and the professional way the mission was carried out. I make no secret that I am not a fan of President Obama but he has to be commended for his decisions and tenacity in hunting Bin Laden and making the choices he did. It also makes me proud that we have such an active intelligence community and forces of the caliber of the Navy Seals..their legend will certainly be enhanced by this great victory.

But I cannot celebrate or find joy in a death; even for someone so heinous as Bin Laden. May some small peace finally find the hearts of the victims of 9/11 and the families of the many Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and civilians who have lost their lives in this decades old war.

I have strived to keep politics and religion out of this blog and will continue to do so after this post but perhaps its time to reflect on the futility and hopelessness of killing each other in the name of religion or ideology or in the name of revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment